Iloilo Chinese New Year 2013 Schedule of Activities
Iloilo City once again stages its own version of the annual Chinese New Year celebration. Touted as the grandest Chinese New Year event in the Philippines after Binondo, Iloilo’s celebration this year will fall 5 days later than the actual new year’s day in the Chinese calendar.
Various events are lined up to showcase the best of the Chinese culture to the Ilonggos. The celebration started last January 23, 2013 with the official opening ceremony and the opening of exhibits at SM City Iloilo.
To highlight the celebration, a grand parade with dragon and lion dances will be held on Friday, February 15, 2013 taking the route from Iznart Street (Capitol area) passing through J.M. Basa and Aldeguer Streets back to Iznart street (Plazoleta Gay area where the Chinese-Filipino Friendship arc is located) where a food festival and a cultural show will be showcased.
Food Festival and Cultural Presentation along Iznart Street
Here is the scheduled activities for the Iloilo Chinese New Year 2013 celebration.
January 23, 2013
- Opening Ceremony – Foodcourt Hallway, SM City Iloilo
- Opening of Exhibits – Event Center, SM City Iloilo
January 24, 2013
- Philippine Kong Han Athletic Club Iloilo Chapter wushu exhibition – Event Center, SM City Iloilo
January 25, 2013
- “Embracing the Spring Festival with Jubilation” by Sun Yat Sen High School – Event Center, SM City Iloilo
January 26, 2013
- “Vincentian Star Frolic, a Celebration of Giftedness and Abundance” by Colegio Del Sagrado Corazon De Jesus – Event Center, SM City Iloilo
January 27, 2013
- Chinese Tea Leaf Reading with Alex Angeles - Event Center, SM City Iloilo
January 28, 2013
- Dragon and Lion Dance by Iloilo City Chinese Commercial High School – Upper Ground Floor, SM City Iloilo
- Chinese Astrology Forecast with Sherwin Gomez - Event Center, SM City Iloilo
- Meet and Greet with Tai Shen Yeh “Chinese God of Wealth” - Event Center, SM City Iloilo
January 29, 2013
- Dragon and Lion Dance by Sun Yat Sen High School – Lower Ground Floor, SM City Iloilo
- “Heralding the year of the dragon with love and gratitude” by Iloilo Scholastic Academy - Event Center, SM City Iloilo
FEBRUARY 15, 2013
- Festival Banquet with the Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines
- Grand Cultural Parade (Iznart-JM Basa-Aldeguer-Iznart) – 3PM
- Grand Cultural Presentation – Iznart Street
- Food Festival – Iznart Street
- Fireworks Display – Iznart Street
- Chinese Heritage and Heroism Exhibit (Jan. 23-29 Foodcourt Hallway)
- Ethnic Tribes of Ancient China Portraits and Costume Exhibit (Jan. 23-29 LGF near carousel)
- Ethnic Costumed Dolls of China & Animal Zodiacs (Jan. 23-29 LGF near karat world)
- Giant inflatable dragon (Jan. 23-29 Food Court Hallway)
- Chinese New Year Food Bazaar (Jan 15-29 Foodcourt dining beside Lava Grub)
- Tsinoy new year exhibit of charms (Jan. 15-29 UGF near Watsons Beauty)
Photos were taken during the Iloilo Chinese New Year celebration 2012. More photos here!