Semana Santa sa Iloilo kag Guimaras 2010
The Holy Week celebration in the provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras has been one of its tourism promotions for four years now dubbed “Semana Santa sa Iloilo kag Guimaras” or SESIG. The Iloilo City Tourism and Development Office (CTDO) prepared various activities for the Holy Week 2010 for the visitors and locals in a joint undertaking with the tourism-oriented businesses in the city.
This year’s theme is “Holy Week in My Mind”, which City Tourism Officer Benito Jimena explains is “(the) things (that) come first to your mind when you think about holy week.”
The SESIG project offers exciting activities that can entice Ilonggos and visitors to celebrate Lent without taking for granted the religiosity of it.
Below are the summary of the scheduled events for the Holy Week 2010, “Semana Santa sa Iloilo kag Guimaras”.
- March 22, 2010 – Start of photo exhibits at SM City Iloilo – a showcase of Ilonggo culture and tradition during the Lenten season.
- April 1 – 2, 2010 – “Capiya” exhibits in Santa Barbara feature fourteen small chapels in the intersections of the town where picturesque tableaus of the “Via Cruces” (Way of the Cross) are located.
- March 29 – April 2, 2010 – Stations of the Cross in Balaan Bukid in Guimaras and all Catholic churches.
- April 1, 2010 – The Last Supper and Washing of Feet of the Apostles re-enactment in all towns.
- March 29 – April 3, 2010 – “Visita Iglesia” or tour of different churches in the city and province.
- April 2, 2010 – A Good Friday procession in Leganes with the 26 life-sized images.
- April 4, 2010 – Leganes “Salubongan” on Easter Sunday presenting the encounter between Jesus Christ and Mother Mary after His resurrection.
- All other churches have “Resplendor” or the angel’s curse of Judas.
- March 27, 2010 – “palaspas”-making contest (Palm Making), SM City Iloilo
- March 29, 2010 – Poetry Reading, SM City Iloilo
- “Sambuwa sang Pasyonista”- “Pasyon,” Rendition Contest – a traditional composition detailing the sufferings of Christ.
- March 28 – April 4, 2010 – “Palapak” where a small statue of Saint Vincent Ferrer is pressed on the head of a devotee hoping for a miraculous cure from only winged saint.
- March 30, 2010 – essay writing, spot drawing/painting at the Freedom Grandstand.
Jaro Belfry, Jaro Metropolitan Cathedral
Retreats can be conducted in the Trappist Monastery in Guimaras and the Gethsemane Garden in Leganes, Iloilo.
Also there will be a month-long Lenten culinary treats offered by members of the Iloilo Hotel Resort and Restaurant Association (IHRRA) while the Iloilo Convention and Visitors Bureau (ICVB) member hotels will offer 50% discount in their room rates from March 28 to April 4, 2010. (Source: PIO)